Known by Many Names
The Tigard Family originally settled this Oregon area in 1852. Originally referred to as East Butte, the region first saw the development of a general store and a school. Renamed Tigardville in 1886, businesses continued to build in the area in order to accommodate the needs of the residents. By 1896, a new school was opened along with a blacksmith shop and a church. By the early 1900s, businesses and residential neighborhoods began to blossom and the name of the city was officially changed to Tigard. In 1961, this city was officially incorporated.
No Shortage of School
To accommodate the growing number of residents and families, schools are plentiful in Tigard. The Tigard-Tualatin School District maintains jurisdiction over the schools, including 10 elementary, three middle, and two high schools. Part of the city, however, falls under the jurisdiction of the Beaverton School District and a small portion of Tigard students attend school there. Those seeking a higher education also have various options in Tigard. The Everest Institute Tigard and the University of Phoenix Oregon Campus are located in the city and both offer a wide array of degrees and programs for younger and older adults alike.
A Shopper's Delight
Shoppers will be enthralled with all that Tigard has to offer. As home to one of the largest shopping malls in the state, the city is ideal for those who bask in big city shopping amenities. Washington Square opened in 1973 and plays home to approximately 170 stores with five anchor tenants. These tenants include JCPenney, Sears, Macy‰Ûªs, and Dick‰Ûªs Sporting Goods. A food court and a host of restaurants are also available for those looking for a bite to eat. Along with the mall, other retail stores are located in Tigard, including Fred Meyer and Target.