Before the Spanish came to the area, ancestors of the Olhone Nation had lived in much of what is now San Leandro since as far back as 2500 B.C. The Spanish called these natives "coast people" or "costenos". English speakers called them "costanoans". When the Spanish first visited the area, it was Father Crespi and Captain Pedro Fages who passed through in 1772. Land grants in 1820 and 1842 marked the beginning of San Leandro's establishment, and by 1855, plans for the actual town were in the works. San Leandro was finally incorporated in 1872.
A Beacon of Education
San Leandro has two school districts within its city's limits, the San Lorenzo Unified School District and the San Leandro Unified School District. The two districts together are the force that makes San Leandro a hub for diverse educational opportunities in the area, appealing to parents and students alike. Most of the city falls under the San Leandro Unified School District, which offers eight elementary schools, two middle schools, and two high schools. The area that does not fall under the San Leandro district is educated by the San Lorenzo among nine elementary schools, three middle schools, and five general high schools.
Like many coastal cities, San Leandro is a popular destination for nature-lovers and watersports fans. Its location against the Pacific makes it an ideal place for anglers to catch the big one, surfers to catch some waves, and swimmers and boaters to just get out there and do their thing. The city also offers 17 parks throughout the area, including the San Leandro Shoreline Recreation Area. All of the city's public parks are maintained by the Department of Recreation and Human Services for the City of San Leandro. You can also enjoy multiple community centers and the San Leandro Family Aquatic Center.