A Rich German History
Germantown is a city rich in history that dates back even earlier than the 19th century. Before the area became Germantown as it is known today, settling began with three brothers in 1790. The Waters brothers inherited the land from their father, who had owned a lot of land around what is now known as Montgomery County. Basil Waters's house can still be viewed today at the corner of Observation and Royal Crown Drives in what is now Milestone, Maryland. Germantown itself was essentially established in the mid-1800s when vendors began setting up shop and selling services at the crossroads of what are now Germantown Road and Clopper Road. These people were largely recognized for their thick German accents, which led to the area being dubbed "German town."
Public schools in the city run under the Montgomery County Public Schools system and Germantown has a total of thirteen public elementary schools, four middle schools, and two high schools that serve the children of this area. Many receive high ratings and rankings for their educational standards and general popularity among students and parents alike. The city is also home to Montgomery County's largest college, Montgomery College. The area's schools have come a long way since the city's first public school was built, which was not until after the end of the Civil War. The first schoolhouse in the area had one room and was built in 1868.
Music and Culture in
Perhaps one of Germantown's most noteworthy draws is its local music scene, including events and festivities year-round. Notable attractions include the BlackRock Center for the Arts, situated in the Germantown Town Center in the city's downtown area. Every autumn brings the Germantown Oktoberfest, which is held at the BlackRock Center and features a variety of genres such as pop, rock, and German folk music. This festival's variety offers something for most musical tastes ranging from mild to wild. The BlackRock Center for the Arts is also known as the Germantown Cultural Arts Center, as its BlackRock moniker comes from the nearby Blackrock Mill. It was established in 2002 and was made possible by a land donation from the Town Center's developer.