Deer Park History
Simeon Henry West founded Deer Park in 1892. West was a farmer, retired legislator, and adventurer from Illinois who began exploring the west. He named the town after the large number of deer that traveled across the Gulf Plains regularly. In 1893, Deer Park’s post office opened. It was closed in 1919 and later reopened in 1930 after an oil boom re-vitalized an almost-abandoned city. Shell Oil Company came to the area in 1928, bringing with it many workers and residents, leading to Deer Park opening a school system and re-establishing itself as a growing town.
Education in Deer Par
Most students attend one of Deer Park Independent School District’s (DPISD) public schools, while others attend schools within the La Porte Independent School District (LPISD). The area's main public high schools are Deer Park High School and La Porte High School. DPISD offers eight elementary schools and four middle schools, while LPISD operates two elementary schools in the Deer Park area. The Early Childhood Center in Deer Park is a highly reputable pre-school for your little tykes who are not quite old enough to attend kindergarten or first grade. After graduation, locals have easy access to San Jacinto College’s Central Campus.
A City of Parks and R
Deer Park stays true to its name with a number of parks and outdoor recreation opportunities available all around the city. The city-named Deer Park and Battleground Golf Course can be found just off 13th Street. Dog lovers can enjoy time outdoors with their furry friends at Ella and Friends Dog Park. Outdoor sports fanatics can enjoy passing the time at Spencerview Athletic Complex, located on Durant Avenue. The San Jacinto College Central Golf Club is open to visitors as well, while Bliss Meadows Park provides outdoor and water entertainment options with the Armand Bayou.