A significant amount of people in the city of Covington get around by the use of the Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky, or TANK for short. TANK services both Northern Kentucky as well as Southern Ohio, specifically the city of Cincinnati. TANK has over one hundred buses and twenty five vehicles that operate on demand to serve seniors and the disabled. TANKÕs fleet of vehicles makes it one of the more extensive busing systems in the region, especially for one that is publically funded.
<p>The John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge is the bridge that separates the cities of Covington and Cincinnati, as well as the states of Kentucky and Ohio. The bridge crosses the Ohio River, and at the time of its construction in 1866, it was the largest suspension bridge on the planet. The bridge is often walked by residents as a way to move between the cities, and it is symbolic of the Covington metro area. At one point in the early 1900s, the bridge had ramps added for streetcars. The streetcar service ran until the 1950s.</p>
<p>The Carneal House is the city of CovingtonÕs oldest known building. ItÕs sometimes called Elmwood Hall by the local residents. The home was built in the year 1815 by the cityÕs founders, and it was designed in an Italianate-Federalist style. In the 1830s, the home was bought by a Kentucky Congressman, William Wright Southgate, who added a number of features to the home, including a west wing residence. Today, the home is part of the cityÕs Licking Riverside Historic District, and it is preserved by the city with tax payer dollars.</p>
Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption
<p>The Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption is a Roman Catholic cathedral which was built in the late 1800s by the Diocese of Covington. It was never quite finished, as in 1915 the project was discontinued. The inside of the building has stone paintings and stained glass windows. In the early 2000s, the city hired a group to restore the interior after winning the 2002 Preservation Award from the Cincinnati Preservation Association. The interior of the building also holds two large pipe organs, which were intended for use at a mass that never happened. Today, the building is frequented by tourists and architects, and its likeness even inspired the Norte Dame Cathedral in Paris, France.</p>