The first official white colonial settlement in this area was founded in 1718, when its founder, David Zeisberger, discovered an area rich with timber and water resources. This area was called "New Gnadenhautten" at first, though it eventually earned the name it has today. The area's history is marked with interactions between whites and natives, British and Americans, including activity during the War of 1812. During World War II, one Clinton Township resident petitioned to be allowed to relocate interred Japanese-Americans into the city, giving these incarcerated individuals a taste of relative freedom during a dark period in American history.
Sitting on about 24 acres of land within Clinton Township, the Tomlinson Arboretum is funded by donations and grants. One donation incentive is the Arboretum's memorial tree program, which allows patrons to donate money to the park in exchange for having a plaque placed by a specific tree. The Tomlinson Arboretum's collection focuses on native species of trees and wildflowers, including oak, maple, tulip, and pine trees. There are sugar maples on site, and they may produce enough sap in the future to make maple syrup, a practice that used to be quite common in this region.